Tuesday 3 May 2011

Enterprise Task 3 - How Will I Promote Myself 幻の

Promotion is of course the key to finding work as a Graphic Designer. There are many ways this can be achieved and I think doing as many as possible will allow me to obtain a wide variety of different companies in the U.K and elsewhere.

One of the very first things I would do, would be to contact people I already knew with contacts in the design world. This may be designer that tutors are connected with or fellow peers in my year or people from the other year groups on the course. Friends and family may also have links and knowledge that can also be exploited.
I would then design business cards with the intent of showing off my style and personality. These would then be handed out to friends, friends of friends, businesses and anyone that could potentially need the skills set of a graphic designer. It is important that the card is noticeable in an instant and that the design makes people want to call or email to find out more. If the design does not strike instantly then the card is pretty much useless.

During my time in the second year I have also noticed some of my course-mates sending out samples of work to design companies using hand made promotional packs. In my opinion this is one of the best ways to get noticed my people who have already made their mark in the design industry. A handmade approach shows a lot of personal quality, about you as a person, as well as a designer.
Work should be sent to people in positions at the company and not the company itself, this is so the personal touch is maintained.

For me the personal aspect of public relations is key to making contacts in the business world. I would always try to conduct meetings with clients and companies face to face. There is a lot of information that can be misinterpreted over the phone, this includes human emotions and body language. I would much prefer to conduct business with someone I have met ad got to know rather than have a relationship with a machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment