Monday 23 November 2009

No News is Good News - Self Evaluation


Self Evaluation

This brief was particularly interesting because it gave us more freedom to work with. I really enjoyed this because I could pick a topic that interested me. This above anything else inspired me to create a really exciting piece of work that was more personal to me.

Research

The research for the brief went very well because I already knew a lot about the conspiracy's behind Planet X. Finding out that a fairly large chunk of the hype around Planet X was stirred up by Sony Pictures for a marketing scheme was very thought provoking.
A lot of my research was internet based but I did take the time to ask the people in my class about the film 2012 and whether or not they had about it or Planet X.

I found that most people had heard of conspiracies surrounding 2012 and that they had also heard of the film.

I also read in the article that many teenagers had written letters to N.A.S.A contemplating suicide. This immediately gave me my target audience.

Poster Series

Designing the posters by had took a lot of time and effort. But the effect that I got was worth it. I think that the colours grey, blue and red worked well together but I was told in the presentation that they where a little garish.
I also had some problems with some of the type. Originally I had planned for the "In Cinemas" on the image and text poster to read "... but only in cinemas". However when I came to cut the letters out, it proved to be too tricky as the type was a lot smaller. This then had to be compensated for.
I would have also liked to scan the images in on the computer and then print them digitally. This would have given the posters a nice clean finish and kept the same rustic hand rendered effect as well.

Mail shot

The mail shot gave me the chance to produce my designs that I had done for the poster series digitally. In doing this I was able to tone down the colours to make them look more relaxing, rather than alarming.
Playing with Planet X to make it Planet RelaX I think worked well because it changed the message completely without straying to far from the original subject.
As I was making this mail shot to send to people who where anxious about the end of the world, I decided that the colour of the stock needed to be changed. I really like the hand rendered rustic effect created by the posters so I decided to print on recycled parcel paper.

I kept the font (Impact) from the poster series the same but I realised that it was a bit to bold. I came to the solution that I would use a font called Bickam Script to write out the key relaxing words like relax, calm, ambient, and herbal tea. This also gave the mail shot a good contrast that worked really well.

When it came to printing I used a laser jet printer so as not to smudge the ink. When I printed the envelopes onto the parcel paper I was incredibly pleased with the results. The colours worked very well together, creating a stylish rustic effect that looked very soothing.
The only problem I had with printing on the parcel paper was that it was very thin. I had to print the front of the envelope and the inside of the envelope on separate sheets. I then stuck them together to make it thicker.
I used double sided sticky tape to stick the two sides together. This meant that some bits where not stuck down properly making the back of the envelopes a bit dog eared.
to resolve this situation next time I will use spray mount to make sure it is all stuck down evenly.




No comments:

Post a Comment